What is ZUMBA?
Perezin Cali, Colombia founded Zumba in the mid-1990s. The name “Zumba”has no particular meaning which it was made as a brand name. The original name was ‘Rumbacize’, a combination of tumba (“to party” in Spanish, and a musical style and dance name), and ‘Jazzercize’.
Zumba involves dance and aerobic movements performed to energetic music. The choreography incorporates hip-hop, soca, samba, salsa, merengue and mambo.Squats and lunges are also included. Zumba is not just for people who can dance. Anybody can practice it! The steps are simple yet heart pumping and fun.
Zumba comes with a whole lot of benefits. Let’s go through a few of them.
- It’s just fun!
And the more fun you have, the more likely you are to want to keep doing it. Many people say they have so much fun dancing that they forget they are actually exercising.
- Great for weight loss,
Zumba is a powerful exercise with a600 to 1,000-calorie burn in just an hour.If you have diabetes, Zumba is a great way to lose weight and build muscle. Your blood sugars will go down as your energy level soars. Check with your doctor first to see if you’ll need to change your diabetes treatment plan.
- Tones your entire body
You may feel sore in places you never knew existed, but it gets results. Zumba targets lots of different muscle groups at once for total body toning.
- Boosts your heart health
You not only get aerobic benefits (it really gets your heart rate up!), you also get anaerobic benefits – the kind that help you maintain a good cardiovascular respiratory system.
- Helps you de-stress
Turning your attention to dance, and away from the daily grind, is a great way to relieve stress. Studies show that exercise is very effective at reducing fatigue, improving alertness and concentration, and enhancing overall cognitive function.
- Improves coordination
In Zumba, your arms and legs are generally moving in different directions so it requires a good deal of coordination. Repeated practice improves coordination and helps you feel more comfortable moving your body.
- Makes you happy
Every time you exercise, you release endorphins, which trigger positive feelings throughout the body.
Side effects Regarding Zumba
- While an aerobic based workout program will make you lose weight quicker, you will also gain weight quicker if you stop following a fitness program like Zumba. This is usually not the case with slower workouts such as yoga
- With a faster workout program, there is a higher chance of injury by tripping, slipping or falling down or simply spraining a muscle. This will especially be a problem with those having certain bone conditions and/or for older people
- Zumba fitness may prove to be tiresome for some people who also look for relaxation in their workout regime.
- For people who do not enjoy dancing or lots of noise around them, will be more likely to not be at ease with Zumba.
Three(3) Zumba moves you can do anywhere
The Biceps Bounce
- Stand with your feet wider than hip-width apart.
- Move from side to side as you alternate tapping one foot on the floor.
- Now add the arms: With or without weights, curl your arms to your chest to perform a biceps curl.
- Once you’ve mastered the curl, bend your knee and kick one foot back at a time, performing a hamstring curl. Alternate sides.
- This is a great move to get your heart rate up.
- With your feet wider than hip-distance apart, quickly step from side to side, gently bending your knees to guide the movement.
- Now add the arms: Raise your arms to shoulder level and lower as you continue to step laterally.
- Build strength in the legs with this move.
- Bend your knees and lower into a squat position. Be sure your knees don’t track over the toes, which could lead to injury.
- Remain in the squat position and pulse. Return to standing then repeat.
- “You can do those three moves wherever,whether you’re at home or here at Piedmont,” says Shelton. “Whatever you do, just move.
Types of Classes in Zumba you need to know
Over the past few years, Zumba has expanded to incorporate a range of different takes on the original class, targeting children as young as 3 with their Zumbni sessions.
Zumba Toning Classes
Work by incorporating extra resistance using Zumba toning sticks or light weights, which work by engaging specific muscle groups including arms, core and lower body.
It’s based around the original moves used in Zumba but at a lower intensity, perfect for older adults and focuses on balance and coordination.
Focuses on strengthening the legs and bum and increases cardio and calorie burning.
It’s a lower impact aquatic exercise based in a pool, using natural water resistance to help tone muscles. The benefit of this is the reduced impact on your joints in the water, unlike other sports such as running which can have high impact on knee and hip joints.
Clothing to Wear
Wearing the right clothing is an essential part of participating in Zumba, and since women know what not to wear, it is important to know what to wear. Clothing that women choose for their workout should not interfere with their dancing and exercise moves. Some of the best workout clothing for dance includes non-cotton T-shirts, shorts, exercise bands, and Zumba cargo pants.The clothes need to be absorbent and wick perspiration from the body. The following table is a list of the various bottoms and tops that would be good to wear for Zumba:
|Types of Tops to Wear||Types of Bottoms to Wear|
|Tank Tops||Cascade Capris|
|Sleeveless V – Neck Tops||Seamless Leggings|
|Bra Tops||Jazz Pants|
|Spaghetti Tops||Flare Capris|
There are many different choices when it comes to choosing Zumba attire. The most important thing to remember is lightweight clothing for easy movement and sweat wicking capabilities.
Shoes to Wear
There are specific shoes that can be worn for Zumba which are manufactured by the dance shoe company Bloch called Amalgam shoes. They are ideal for Zumba because they are light, breathable,designed for dance, and are available in various colors. However, there are other shoes that can be worn for Zumba, but it is important to wear shoes that are made for dance such as a dance sneaker. Because Zumba involves a lot of dancing, shoes should be lightweight, breathable, and designed for dancing.
Zumba classes and videos offer a high-intensity cardiovascular workout that last 50 minutes to an hour, on average. Since its origination in 1986, Zumba has evolved to include not only more traditional Latin dance exercise, but hip hop, reggae, pop and more.
There is more on our website to discover: Zenergize with Zumba